Wednesday 7 December 2016

Personal Statement

The enticing prospect of a career in marketing or advertising has consolidated my desire to undertake an individual Marketing course, or a Business Management and Marketing degree at university. I am excited to build upon my creativity, academic studies and my work place experience in order to be successful in this challenging and stimulating environment.
I have always had an avid interest in marketing which is why studying Creative Media has been such a great opportunity for me. I have applied my creative and innovative skills on many of the modules on this course, such as to create a magazine advert for cereal; I enjoyed planning scenes, selecting locations and creating a storyboard using the specified brief. Whilst interviewing the models and directing the subsequent shoot, I grasped the importance of excellent visual, communication and interpersonal skills. I also enjoyed learning how to use the photographic equipment – a valuable skill in the workplace. This task encouraged me to consider all aspects of merchandising and customer habits. Studying Business has developed my skills of analysis, evaluation and application, and I look forward to enhancing my knowledge in greater depth at degree level.
This summer I undertook work experience at Frank PR. I was tasked with creating the monthly reports, reviewing all company activity such as fashion workshops and shopping centre promotions. Using skills acquired through studying Business, such as my research skills, I was able to process complex information and display the results in a variety of formats. I also applied my writing skills which I have obtained throughout my business course as I have a passion for creative writing. I also participated in a brainstorming session for a PR stunt on behalf of Green Flag where I was struck by the wealth of ideas generated in this dynamic atmosphere. During work experience at a recruitment company, PPA Education, I was given the responsibility of using their software to check CV’s and attend interviews with a view to placing teachers in appropriate vacancies. I successfully placed a candidate in a permanent position. Working on a local market stall selling Android boxes has required me to be motivated, articulate and display good relationships with customers. My job at Vanilla Hairdressers has taught me that listening to clients is essential – another invaluable skill in the workplace.
I have been keen to extend my learning beyond the classroom. Volunteering in the Autistic Unit at my school, supporting and interacting with pupils, has been a highly rewarding and motivating experience. It has been fascinating to witness the alternative techniques used to support learning, in addition to giving me a unique perspective on how to frame concepts for others and consider alternative viewpoints. This also inspired me to volunteer at the Deaf Society in Hendon where I have worked hard to learn sign language in order to improve interaction with members; good communication is very important to me. Spending a month in Israel with my peers allowed me to experience a culture so different from my own and appreciate the value of team spirit. The experience also intensified my desire to embrace the opportunity of studying abroad. Having had meningitis as a child, I am passionate about raising money for the Meningitis Trust to fund research into new vaccines and provide family support. My latest fund raising event was a Charity run and I am proud to have raised over £1000 for the trust to date.

I am a creative, outgoing and highly motivated individual, determined to push myself in order to realise my full potential. I am extremely excited by the prospect of embarking on the next stage of my academic journey, studying the subjects in which I am most interested in preparation for my future. I relish the opportunity to become independent and meet new people, seek out new challenges and take advantage of all that university life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment