Wednesday 14 December 2016

unit 10 p3 p4 m2

UNIT 10 P3

1ST SLIDE-

In this assignment I will be planning and conducting a market research using one primary and one secondary data collection method.

The method I have chosen to use for my primary data collection is- Questionnaires
This is because questionnaires are an extremely effective way of gathering information in one go as it is reliable because you are producing and carrying out the research yourself. Also, they allow people to answer one worded answers as well as lengthy detailed opinions answers which is really helpful for a business to launch their new range of phone cases.

The method I have chosen to use for my secondary data collection is- Internet
This is because the internet holds a huge load of data and information that can be essential to help a business produce a new range. It is secondary data as this information and data has already been obtained by someone else, or another business making it less reliable then primary research however, a massive population of people publish information on the internet which is useful for businesses.

2ND SLIDE-

Research brief-
Ottorbox are a small business who produce phone cases. They have decided to launch a new range of appealing phone cases which are targeted at teenagers. After assessing the different types of research methods there are to find out as much information needed to make the new range successful we have come to a conclusion that we need to carry out research for the new range. I will be carrying out primary and secondary research in order to gain a bulk of accurate and reliable knowledge from different sources. The aims and objective of my research is to find out information to ensure the range is successful and increases the businesses sales. I will be using two different types of research methods which are; questionnaires and the internet.

3RD SLIDE-

Below is my plan of how I intend to carry out my research for my questionnaires-

For the survey I will be asking 20 teenagers between the ages of 13-19 from any background as Ottorbox are a small business. The information I get from my questionnaires will go into a report and I will evaluate the data using various graphs, charts etc. Collecting this research will take quite a long time to get 20 people to answer my questionnaires especially as it may be hard to find 20 people who fit into the target audience.

4TH SLIDE-

This is my plan for how I am going to carry out my research from the internet. I will be going onto Ottorbox's official website and collecting information about the different products they sell by saving screenshots of them. Furthermore, I will be screens hotting the reviews of previous customers who have purchased a phone case from Ottorbox

5TH SLIDE-

Research proposal-

Overall I will be collecting data from two different research methods. One of them will be primary research, which will be a questionnaire. The other one will be secondary research which I will be using the Internet for. Both these research methods are useful and effective research methods which is why I picked these specific methods as they have a significance in finding information for the new range of phone cases.

UNIT 10 P4

Questionnaires

https://goo.gl/forms/WiXroraxw3XLPYr83

This is the link to my primary research, my questionnaire. The questions are available to see and so are the responses where 20 people answered my questionnaire.

Log for Questionnaire-
The research was conducted on Wednesday 14th December where I asked teenagers between the ages of 13-19 at JCoSS school throughout the day if they were willing to fill out my questionnaire. I created my questionnaire on Google Forms as this is an easy method to produce a questionnaire and it is clear to access as it is online. This information is reliable because I carried it out myself and I know the people who answered my questionnaire were the ages they told me because I can check with their teachers which makes the results more accurate. It was reliable also because I didn't force anyone to answer the questionnaire, it was all their own opinions and preferences. Collecting my data was challenging as it was hard to find 20 people to fill out my questionnaire because especially my target audience being teenagers, they don't want to wast their time filling out a survey however, I found 20 people eventually and they were all enthusiastic about answering it so that was great.

These are the responses from 20 people who filled out my Questionnaire. The questions were asked in various different formats therefore te responses are presented in different formats also, such as graphs, pie charts etc.











Internet research






Log for Internet Research-
I conducted this research on Tuesday 13th December in which I researched about the business, Otterbox and their phone cases. I found reviews from previous customers who have purchases a phone case form Otterbox and it explains their opinions on the product and the business itself. This will help with my research because it is secondary research therefore it is a wider range of people. The data was easy to access as they are all on their websites underneath the products in the 'Reviews' section. Although, the reliability of this source is not going to be so reliable as we don't know the ages of the people who have brought the phone case as the new range is only target at teenagers. Furthermore, we did not do the reviews ourself therefore we don't know the accuracy of the reviews.

UNIT 10 M2

Dear marketing director and whom it may concern,

In this email I will be explaining the reasons for choosing the primary and secondary research method that I used to collect data. The selected products I was collecting data for was the new range of phone cases produced by Otterbox.

I choose to use a primary research method, which was a questionnaire as I felt this was an appropriate method to find research out because it is an accurate method as it was being carried out first-hand, by me. Therefore this validates the results because I saw everyone who answered the questionnaires and knew they all fit into my target audience. I used primary research to find out if there any products like this on the market and the competitors. Evidence for this is the question "Have you bought a phone case from Otterbox before" because this is finding out if people have previously purchased a product from them and if not then they have bought from Otterbox's competitors.

By using questionnaires it appeals more to the target audience who are 13-19 year olds, also the target audience are more familiar with questionnaires rather than other types of primary research such as telephone survey therefore they were more willing to answer the questionnaire. Questionnaires are a great way of helping to find out about the phone cases because I was able to put in a range of different formatted questions to allow a range of different results, also to appeal to the target audience so they do not get bored of their questionnaire. The questionnaires were extremely effective as we gathered a wide range of knowledge from the response as this will help to improve and understand what the consumers would like to see for the new range of phone cases.

The secondary research method I decided to use was the Internet because this is a effective way of collecting information and data which has already been researched. This saves Otterbox a lot of time as they do not have to waste time to collect data because it has already been done and put onto the internet for other people to access. The validity of the sources are not 100% accurate however, some websites are more accurate and reliable than others and you can use your initiative to see which ones are which. The new ranges target audience, 13-19 year olds use the internet massively in their every day lives now a days which is why a lot of information and data is put online for other people to see which is why it is a suitable method to accumulate information which will help with the production and launch of the new phone case range. 

1 comment: